Russian Churches in Vilnius
See Russian Churches in Vilnius.
The Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas
St. Nicholas Church (Didžioji St.12, Vilnius) is the oldest surviving church in Lithuania, built in the historic center of the capital, Vilnius.
Originally built in the 14th century, it is mentioned in the wiritng for the first time in 1387. Archaeologists believe that the same Roman Catholic church has survived to the present day.
Externally, the church represents the Gothic style of bricks, while its interior has been renovated several times.
The bell tower of the church was built in the 17th century in a Baroque style. More…
Orthodox Church of the Holy Spirit
The dome of the Holy Spirit Church rises above the old town and is easily identified by the surrounding streets. The church was built in 1408 and today is considered an architectural monument of the late Baroque period in Lithuania.
The Orthodox Church of the Holy Spirit houses a remarkable crucifix, “animated” by the incoming daylight. Pope John Paul II himself visited the shrine and prayed before the sacred image in 1993.
The monks of the Dominican Order in Lithuania remained in the time of Gediminas, so a wooden church there already existed in 1321, and the stone church of the Holy Spirit was built in 1408.
It is one of the most charming churches in Vilnius, with its impressive Rococo ornaments.
From 1986 to 2005, the painting of Divine Mercy was respected here.
Cathedral of the Theotokos
Theotokos Cathedral (Maironio St.12, Vilnius) is the main Orthodox Christian church in Lithuania.
Theotokos Cathedral is one of the oldest churches in Vilnius, built before the Christianization of Lithuania, when the Grand Duchy of Lithuania was the last pagan state in Europe. It has become an important spiritual center for the growing Christian population of the duchy.
Theotokos Cathedral was damaged during World War II. It was restored in 1948, although its renovations were not completed until 1957.
Today the cathedral belongs to the Russian Orthodox Church and has been again renovated in 1998. Its services are mainly occupied by residents Russian and Belarusian ethnic groups from Vilnius.
Orthodox Church of Saint Paraskeva
The Church of St. Paraskeva (Didžioji St.2, Vilnius) is an Orthodox church in Vilnius.
The first Orthodox Church of St. Paraskeva was built at the request of Prince Algirdas’ first wife, a Russian Princess Anne, who was later buried there in 1346.
According to legend, the church was built on the site from a temple of the pagan god, Ragutis. At first, an atheism museum was opened there, but in the end the church was transformed into a Lithuanian folk art gallery.
The church was not returned to the Orthodox Church until 1990 and rededicated by Metropolitan Khrisostom the following year.
Church of St. Constantine and Michael
The Church of Constantine and Michael, also known as the Romanov Church, (J.Basanavičiaus St.27, Vilnius) was built in 1913 on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Tsarist Romanov dynasty.
On the day of its consecration, May 13, the church was visited by the royal figure of Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, known at the time of the consecration as “Sister Elizaveta”.
It is one of the most beautiful Russian Orthodox churches in the city, with a luxuriously decorated exterior building and a fantastic interior. It’s definitely worth a visit.
MORE RUSSIAN CHURCHES IN VILNIUS